Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Harry Potter Mania!

Well,
Last Friday night Darren and I headed down to Barnes and Noble to join in on the Harry Potter Mania! We did this with our dear friends Margaret & Andrew for book #6 and we were excited to do it again. We wish they were with us! Anyway, they had tons of fun activities - trivia games, crossword puzzles, word searches, guess how many Bertie Bott's beans were in a jar, a magician show, costume prizes, readings from favorite passages, pictures with Harry, free glow-in-the dark glasses... etc. One of the fun things for Darren was to have the "sorting hat" question him and place him in the House of Ravenclaw! (of course he was hoping for Gryffindor) He got to decorate a shield to wear around his neck. He also got to make a bookmark for the about-to-be-released book #7.

Late into the evening we spotted some of the employees wheeling out cases of the books to the front registers. I quickly snapped a shot of Darren with the books. It's pretty serious stuff - they were really edgy about letting me do it but let me anyway. They immediately covered the boxes with a large sheet of some sort. We thought it was funny.

Tons of people were dressed up. One guy made a pretty good Albus Dumbledore. He was kind enough to pose with Darren. Some other good costumes were Fred and George, a Snitch, and Professor Umbridge. We did meet up with a few friends from the ward who were equally excited to receive the final book.

I have finished the book and loved it. Darren is still working on it as we had to share. Over the past few years, we've read all the books together, and separately. We love to discuss them and joke about them. I've enjoyed having this unique experience with my son. I'm so sad there are no more books to look forward to. We'll just have to re-read them again and again until something new comes along. Will there ever be anything as fun as Harry Potter?



Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Melissa C. said...

Such fun! I can't wait until Isaac and Noah are old enough to like Potter! Lucky that Darren was old enough to enjoy it while the books were still coming out. I'm jealous you got to go to a Harry Potter party. I tried to convince David to dress up and go to Barnes and Noble with me, but he wasn't interested. :) Oh well, I guess it's cooler when you have a kid with you anyway! We probably would have felt stupid. :)

Nicole said...

Yeah, Darren served as my "excuse" to be there. I could act like I was there for him. hee hee Really, there were TONS of people of every age. Older teenagers, adults, everyone loves Harry.

Kate said...

How fun for you and Darren to share the whole "Harry Potter" experience. Way to get into it together!

rebecca said...

That looks like so much fun! I look forward to having experiences like that with my kids as they get older. It think it's so rad that you got to spend such a fun night with your oldest boy! I LOVE the sneaky picture of Darren with the boxes of books. He looks great all dressed up. Love it!

AmyJune said...

I love what Harry Potter has done for families. How fun.

Maggie said...

We wish that we had been able to be with you guys again this year...we were driving to Arizona with a screaming baby...it sounds like your night was much more fun. Grant ran in to a WalMart at 12:30 a.m. but there were about 100 people in front of him in line so we waited until Costco opened in the morning to grab our copy. Cute pictures of Darren!!!

Ron & Charlene Hansen said...

Yeah Darren!!! How fun for you and your Mom to have such a fun and exciting night at the Harry Potter Mania! Your photos are great! So proud of you for reading all of the Harry Potter books! Just think how exciting to be there when they brought the books out in the boxes, yikes, I bet you just wanted to open the box, reach in and begin to Read! Love Nana H.